Editor’s Note: As 2021 draws to a close, we take a look back at the year’s most popular headlines in San Antonio. This year, Alamo City readers were drawn to stories of travel and nature hotspots, the best schools and restaurants, and, naturally, HEB.
1. A spectacular walkway officially opens onto the new San Antonio Land Bridge. Taking nature walks to a new level, the Phil Hardberger Park Skywalk allows pedestrians to stroll through the forest canopy to the top of the Robert LB Tobin Land Bridge and take in picturesque views from sunrise to sunset. sunset every day.
2. HEB reverses the mask decision for customers after a backlash. With the ideal that Texans help Texans, the San Antonio-based grocer updated his masking policy, aimed at protecting his customers, staff and salespeople by requiring everyone to wear masks, and even provided from masks to buyers who walked in without.
3. This upscale suburb of San Antonio is once again called the richest city in Texas. With a median household income of over $ 180,000 and a poverty rate of almost zero, this affluent Alamo City community supports a country club and consistently ranks as the richest city in Texas.
4. San Antonio restaurant gobbles up # 1 on America’s best brunches list. According to local Yelpers, this donation-based non-profit restaurant that brings comfort to those in addiction recovery programs – as well as the restaurant’s dedicated diners – has the tastiest brunch in the country.
5. HEB pharmacies in San Antonio will open appointments for the COVD-19 vaccine. The Lone Star State’s favorite grocer has kicked off another pandemic year by caring for Texans, rolling out his vaccine planning tool to the public, and getting people vaccinated against the virus.
6. Travelers to San Antonio can embark on a fairytale getaway to this Hill Country castle. This princely mansion near Lake LBJ, available to rent as a vacation home for an equally royal fee, is inspired by a 19th-century German palace and definitely evokes an air of enchantment.
7. This San Antonio high school ranks among the best in America, according to American News and World Report. Among the top 100 high schools in the country, this local attraction school got the note, ranking 10th among the best in the state.
8. Revered Dallas Taco Shop opens in San Antonio with 2 prime locations. Adventurous and world-inspired restaurant Velvet Taco has crushed the local taco scene by unpacking its restaurants in Rim Crossing and near the Pearl, on the former site of San Antonio’s favorite Taco Land.
9. The long-awaited upscale steakhouse is finally opening its first restaurant in San Antonio. After waiting nearly two years, local carnivores were able to get their teeth into the Redlands Grill, which opened in La Cantera Heights with an assortment of menu-based meats.
10. San Antonio offers nonstop service to the hot spot in Mexico from a low cost airline. With a relentless desire to embrace the beach-goer lifestyle, residents of Alamo City rejoiced at Sun Country Airlines’ announcement of its new direct SAT flights to the beach in Cancun, Mexico.