MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) has ordered its personnel to step up anti-crime operations at tourist destinations across the country, following an order from President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr.
PNP director of operations Major General Valeriano de Leon said on Saturday that precincts and police stations across the country have been instructed to step up police visibility and crime prevention efforts, especially at tourist sites within their respective areas of responsibility.
“We understand the logic behind the order from our Commander-in-Chief, President Marcos, to guarantee the security of all areas of the country, especially tourist sites, as tourism plays an important role in the economic recovery plan of the new administration,” De Leon said in a statement.
He further noted that the strengthening of security measures should be combined with intelligence gathering and an analysis of crime patterns in tourist areas.
“This should be coupled with reliable intelligence data on groups operating in particular areas. If executed correctly, we will at least be one step ahead of these criminal elements and [we’ll] to be able to offer our compatriots peace of mind in terms of law and order,” added de Leon.
Hoping to develop tourism in the country to match the standards of other countries like Singapore, Marcos previously laid bare his administration’s plan to create policies, conditions and infrastructure conducive to the development of the Philippine tourism industry.
Department of Tourism (DOT) Secretary Christina Frasco, meanwhile, welcomed the president’s statement as she outlined DOT’s plan to achieve the goal.
Government plans to spend 5-6% of GDP on infrastructure projects every year
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to access The Philippine Daily Inquirer and over 70 titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am and share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.